Wednesday

[misc] Food Stuffs

Christmas break for me starts tomorrow. Only 11 days off in a row (wish it was more) and I'm going to make the most of it. My plan is to do nothing other than:

1. Bake
2. Knit

I haven't been knitting too much recently, just spinning, so I'm going to see how many projects I can crank out. Also, I really don't bake anything other than blueberry muffins, so I'm going to bake every day: no-knead bread, muffins, cookies, savory scones. Dollar will eat it all, I know.

I'm trying to clean out the cupboards- we have all kind of beans and soups and pasta and canned tuna fish and crap that I'm trying to use up so we don't have to move with it. I've been forced to get creative. Last night I made scalloped potatoes. I have a couple cans of crab bisque to use and I decided to use one in the scalloped potatoes. I mixed some half & half with the soup and then added some salt, pepper, bay seasoning. I used my mandolin to slice two russet potatoes. I chopped up some cheddar and swiss cheeses. I put down layers of all that stuff. Baked uncovered at 400 for 50 min. It was good but way too greasy.

I'm willing to try this again (because I have the other can of bisque to use up) using way less cheese- I'll only sprinkle a bit on top and not add it to the layers of potatoes. And I might take an onion to the mandolin as well to add to the layers. The urge to include bacon is great.

Tonight? Steak and curly fries, cuz that's how I'm roll when I'm on vaca.

2 comments:

Sara said...

What time is dinner? (Just kidding)...sounds good though.

Bacon would really be good on those potatoes...

Can't wait to see what you knit...

gayle said...

Oh, how I would love a Christmas break... Enjoy yours!
I'm hoping you're going to knit with some of your gorgeous handspun yarns! Can't wait to see how they look knit up.