Wednesday

[embroidery] When it's too hot to knit...

More than a year ago I embroidered some cloths for Dollar. He is still using them and they've held up well to many machine washings. I ordered some more tea towels from the Sublime Stitching website, thinking they would be the same thin, soft towels that came in the kit. The ones I got were VERY large and made of thicker material.

I unfolded one of the towels, showed Dollar and asked what he thought. He said "They're nice... But I think if they were half that size, they would be perfect. I can't really fold up that huge thing and stuff it in my pocket." I eyed my sister's sewing machine, sitting in a cardboard box in a corner of my dining room for more than a year.

I took it out and took it apart. I read through the instruction manual on how to clean out the lint and where to oil it. I somehow managed to put it back together...

Sewing


I cut the tea towels. Here they are post-cutting. (Yes, they were too huge to begin with)...

Sewing


I folded and ironed the cut edge:

Sewing


And sewed it!

Sewing


I sewed it! OMGWTFBBQFTW! I never sew. It's just a straight line, but seriously... I'm so proud of it.

I even got out the seam ripper to rip out the pink tags (which I'm guessing Dollar doesn't want) and sew the seam closed again.

Sewing


I showed Dollar all the iron-on transfers I have and had him pick out what he liked best. Drums, of course...

Sewing


And I started a snake...

Sewing


The big win here is that I'm no longer terrified of the sewing machine. Wary of it, sure, but not terrified.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Yea..you are not afraid of the sewing machine...that's great.

I like that you are making those for $...that is really sweet. But, what is really sweeter is that he likes and uses them!

gayle said...

The sewing machine is your friend - just spend some time getting to know it! 8)