Thursday

[misc] Getting read to go

[knitting]

I'm taking a work trip to Portland, OR next week, so I'm trying to decide what knitting to bring. I have it narrowed down to: a pair of fingerless gloves, a pair of socks and a fingering-weight cowl. I was just going to bring yarn enough for the gloves and socks but... you never know. I've got lots of flights, layovers and hotel evenings to fill.

[spinning]

I am working on on 8oz of pencil corriedale roving from Crown Mountain Farms. I divvied the yarn into three equal portions to put onto three bobbins for a (you guessed it) three-ply. I'm still working on the first bobbin :(

[reading]

I've been reading a lot of comics by Jason recently. His stories are really great. Kind of noir and the endings are always unexpected. The Left Bank Gang imagines Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ezra Pound and James Joyce as comic artists/writers in 1920's Paris. The Living and the Dead is a rather charming zombie story. All the vignettes in Sshhhh!, ranging from comedy to tragedy, are told without words. Jason is one of my favorite comic artists right now.

For travel reading, a friend recommended The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (Hi Shelby. I know you said you'd lend this to me, but I went and got it for this trip.), so I'm bringing that.

[cooking]

Asparagus. Asparagus asparagus asparagus. It's in season now, right? Well, maybe it's a little early but I've seen lots available at the grocery store and it has been tasting so good. I just saute it in a little vegetable oil until it's bright green and al dente.

[watching]

Dollar and I are closing in on the end of Season 7 of Smallville. The show has been introducing lots of characters from the DC Universe, which has been fun.

I recently popped in a disk from the first season of The Muppet Show. *sigh* They just don't make shows like that anymore. I ordered Season 2.

[playing]

We finally played Alhambra and it was really great. Good for 4-, 3- and even 2-players. There are at least 6 expansions for it and I can't wait to check them out.

1 comment:

Shelby said...

I really hope you like Lies, now that I've talked it right into the stratosphere...lol

ooooh, asparagus...my favorite! Where are you getting yours? I've been avoiding the stuff @ the local grocery store because I know it's not very fresh lately...