Friday

[knitting] Ripple Hand Towels

Some Ripple Hand Towels:

Ripple Towels


A couple pictures without flash so that you can see the texture better:

Ripple Towel Blue


Ripple Towel Yellow


These are good sized towels- 12 inches across, 16 inches long. After I machine wash/dry them, they'll probably shrink to 10 inches across and 13 inches long but whatever. I think I might give these away as baby shower gifts.

I took my first class in knitting Continental style last night at White River Yarns. I knit in the English style and Continental is meant to be a lot faster and less strenuous on your hands and arms. I think I only knit two inches on a swatch in two hours. For real, it's so hard to learn a new way. I came home and told Dollar, "It's like you're right-handed, right? Well, I want you to start writing with your left hand. And here, here's the Declaration of Independence, I want you to transcribe it using your left hand- go! You'd have to go slow because you have to think about the construction of every single letter. In this Continental style, I have to think about every single stitch as I'm making it. Blah!"

So I think the plan is to finish up all my current projects in English style then make a permanent switch to Continental. Get ready for ghetto-fugly beginner projects as I learn how to knit all over again.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Keep us posted on how it's going. I'd love to learn continental and have tried to teach myself but get so confused LOL. Maybe I need to take a class!

KC said...

WOW, I am impressed. I am way too lazy to change my knitting style! Your hand towels look great, I love the colors you picked.

Joan said...

Amy, I learned continental up at Northeast Fiber Arts in Williston a few years ago. I love it for knitting but still use my speedy English for purling. The continental purling hurts my hand. But for seed st, I definitely use continental.
Good luck!