Tuesday

[knitting] Luxe Neck Warmer

I've made some good progress on the Yoke Pattern Jacket and decided to reward myself with some instant gratification. I saw some really pretty Luxe Neck Warmers (pattern in Knit Two Together) on Ravelry, knit with Patons SWS. Here's mine, knit in one evening with one ball of Natural Navy:

Neck warmer


Neck warmer


Neck warmer


It's just a pretty feather-and-fan stitch tube to wear around your neck. It's best with a coat that zips/closes all the way to the neck, rather than a tailored one with a v-shape in the front (because the neck warmer doesn't go down that far). It is easier to wear than a scarf, you just pull it on and off like a hat, and it looks very posh on.

Since this was so easy and I had a different color SWS in my stash, I decided to make another one. What a freaking disaster.

Attempt 1: I decided to make the second one a smidge looser, so instead of casting on 72 stitches, I included another 8-stitch repeat. I cast on 80 stitches. I knit almost two rows before coming across a knot in the yarn. I cut it out, ripped back all my work and restarted.

Attempt 2: I knit almost two rows before coming across another knot in the yarn. I cut it out, ripped back all my work. Now, I know I'm smarter than yarn so I decided to re-wind the entire ball to see if there are any more knots. I got my ball winder out and wound only a small portion (probably just another two rows worth) before finding ANOTHER knot. I was able to wind the remaining ball without incident. I had another ball of SWS in the same color and was able to wind that without finding any knots (although there were a few wonky irregular spots).

Patons SWS


Attempt 3: With the larger ball of SWS, I cast on 80 stitches and was able to knit three rows before realizing I had the wrong number of stitches. The feather-and-fan pattern is a 12-stitch repeat, not an 8-stitch repeat. I ripped back.

Attempt 4: I cast on 84 stitches and knit three rows before seeing an error I made in feather-and-fan pattern and would need to tink back almost the entire row to fix it so I might as well just rip the whole thing and give up.

I took this as a sign. I had so many false starts and errors that I came to the conclusion that this yarn doesn't want to be in this pattern. I could have knit the first neck warmer in the entire time it took me to make all these errors. On the other hand, do you think this is a test? Should I be tenacious enough to carry on and force this stupid neck warmer of endless torment to happen? I say no. Instead, I pulled out a couple balls of the uber light Sublime Kid Mohair to make a tam. Now the question is, can I finish the tam in time for Christmas...

1 comment:

Shelby said...

ooooh...that looks so fluffy and soft and cushy! I want to make one out of the 80 million tons of leftover Gedifra I'm going to have once I finish my Clapotis...lol

re: the second yarn - don't do it! Like you said, it's a sign. The Force is obviously strong in that yarn. Just let it sit until it either finds its purpose, or it mellows its attitude a little bit. I bet you that stuff came from some sassy-ass sheep! ;)