Tuesday

[knitting] Green Knitting

Just read in the news about organic wool by the Vermont Organic Fiber Co.

My first reaction: Isn't all wool, like, organic?

No. Too many sheep destroy land. It's not sustainable. Chemical baths and all that.

My next reaction: Who gives a shit if it's organic or not? I'm not eating it.

Again, non-organic wool is bad for the environment.

So then I start thinking about how "sustainable" my life is. I sometimes throw away tin foil (and I feel guilty). I drive my car instead of taking the bus (and I feel guilty). Do I want my pleasure pass-time (knitting) to be riddled with guilt? Am I bad to want a bargain? Is my yarn stash destroying the world?

I haven't decided yet, but maybe I should start looking into knitting with orgainic cotton, wool nad hemp. Every little bit helps, I suppose.

4 comments:

nicole said...

A knitting pal of mine brought this subject up last night. I try to be green in other aspects of my life, so why not my knitting? I think (and feel guilty because of it) that it has to do with limiting my choices in an area of my life that I don't want to impose limits. Composting is easy. Passing up cheap wool on Elann is not.

Shelby said...

semi-related: have you read about those crazy people who shave their dogs and spin the hair into yarn? There's bargain-hunting, and then there's just plain weird...

amy said...

Shelby: Don't go into Country Woolens and say that. The woman there spins her dog fur and knits with it. It turns out really soft, like Angora. The only problem was thinking, "I'm sure you wash it but... Your dog stinks. Stinks like a dog. Pee yoo."

And entering further into the realm of weird, into the county of creepy: My co-worker's old dog was really sick and needed to be put down. I've been friends with him a long time and offered to spin some of his dog's fur into yarn. He politely (yet firmly) declined my offer because it was "a really creepy idea". I thought it would be nice to have a memento or souvenir, to have always, but... Whatever. I thought it was a nice idea.

Shelby said...

To each their own...most definitely. I just can't picture myself wearing socks or a scarf that smell like dog. I think the sentiment of offering to create a memento for your co-worker is lovely, certainly...but I agree that having something made out of a dead pet's hair would be somewhat creepy. Kind of in that people-who-take-dead-pets-to-the-taxidermist-to-have-them-stuffed way...