Thursday

[books] Anne Rice shoves back, gets shoved harder

Anne Rice slams back at her reviews at Amazon (scroll down to her review of Blood Canticle). I can totally understand her outrage at people saying nasty things but for her to fire back with "the sheer outrageous stupidity of many things you've said here that actually touches my proletarian and Democratic soul" and "your stupid arrogant assumptions about me and what I am doing are slander. And you have used this site as if it were a public urinal to publish falsehood and lies" just makes her look like an asshole. And it's like pouring gasoline on a fire since nearly all the reviews after are even more nasty:

"I can almost picture you at your keyboard, cackling "I'll show them!" between sips of Merlot and tears of impotent rage as you haul out the big game verbiage to slay the beasts who dare rise against you. But you see, it all explodes in your face and you are left looking pathetic and washed up, an aging icon pining for the glory days when everyone kissed your feet and thanked you for the honor, when every syllable that dropped out of your mouth was slurped up like manna by the masses starving for what only you in your singular brilliance could provide."

Ouch.

UPDATE

The pain continues in cartoon format.

[via Bookslut via some guy named Jeremy]

UPDATE II

I think she deleted her review... I can't find it anymore... Maybe she came down off her meds and wised up?

UPDATE III

A cached copy of her review can be found here. Also, the address she listed at the bottom, for people to send her their books and get their money back (like she offered), goes to her old house. Everyone that took her up on her offer got their books back in the mail with a "return to sender" stamp on them. Ann Rice is so, so, so not cool.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'd like to be more clever and do this in an example-driven kind of way, but I'm too time-pressed today to be creative.
My point is, seriously, what is with people today, (particularly literary and political pundits) only giving review/opinions in the form of narrow-minded scathing personal attacks. Damn, people barely sound literate when they do that. It then becomes some lame attempt at how clever can I sound being an asshole. You know, when I was taught about this sort of writing example in school (maybe that's the problem, no one teaches anything right any more), the whole point was; fine, give an opinion, but then there is a pressing need to back it up with specific facts from the text or past facts. Doesn't anybody actually critically think anymore. I think Rice is totally entitled to be pissed off by simple-minded snipers (whether they're right or not), but she's not so bright to be sucked into the bitch-fest by responding.
Sully

amy said...

Back when you were in school? What are you, 80-years-old? You're only, like, a year older than me.

I found out about this whole Ann Rice thing from Neil Gaiman's blog and his comment was: unless reviewers are getting all kinds of facts wrong, you (the author) should just shut up. I think it's the whole "You can't please everyone, all the time" thing. Just don't read the reviews because not everyone is going to like your work.

But... doesn't she just seem more psycho to you now?