Tuesday

[books] Go Read, Young Adult

BookSense posts their Summer 2004 Book Sense Kids' Picks.

LIONBOY by Zizou Corder
I got this last year at Book Expo America. Tried but I couldn't get into it. The story sounded like: kid has wicked smart parents who go missing; kid tries to find them; kid can talk to cats. I don't know, the only books I like where the kid(s) have genius parents are the A Wrinkle in Time series. Which reminds me, the discussion for A Wrinkle in Time over at BookBlog starts June 21.

A GREAT AND TERRIBLE BEAUTY by Libba Bray.
This one actually sounds pretty interesting. Plus, I gotta give props to Young Adult books that clock in at over 400 pages. Vistorian propriety mixed with fantasy? Sounds like fun! No word on when the paperback will be released...

CHASING VERMEER by Blue Balliett.
At first look, I thought this book might be a cross between the movie Chasing Liberty and Girl With a Pearl Earring. But, no. It a young adult verson of The Da Vinci Code. (Okay, so I want to read it. I liked The Da Vinci Code. Sue me.)

SO B. IT by Sarah Weeks
"Heidi, her mentally disabled mother, Sophie, and their neighbor Bernadette live a pretty unusual life. Heidi's mother knows 23 words and Bernadette is agoraphobic. Together, the three of them are a family, caring for each other, until the year Heidi turns 12 and begins to wonder about who her father was. Unable to get any information, she decides to try to find out on her own." Okay. I am intrigued...

THE PEOPLE OF SPARKS by Jeanne Duprau
This is the sequel to The City of Ember, which is now available in paperback for (can you dig it?) $4.99. The City of Ember has been on my TO READ list for a while and there's no excuse not to go out and get it now.

THE VARIOUS by Steve Augarde
Another young adult clock in at over 400 pages. And another in a new trilogy/series. Seriously, what are there so many young adult trilogies coming out [*cough*lordoftherings*cough*]? This book, a couple others I've mentioned here already, Inheritance, The Bartimaeus Trilogy, and the ongoing ones (Spiderwick, Redwall, Series of Unfortunate Incidents, Artemis Fowl, etc.). No, seriously. What's up with that? Anyone? I think these series are just training kids to stick with one author and that's it.

GEOGRAPHY CLUB by Brent Hartinger.
"This story about a group of students forming a gay-straight alliance at their high school is one of the best gay youth books since The Year of Ice." Someone at Amazon reviews this book and says: "A favorite part of mine in the book is when the main character's best friend, Gunner who wants to date this girl. Sets Russle up with her friend, Trish, so Russle dates this girl he doesn't like for his friend, and when he goes to a diner with her, he notices other guys checking his date out. This was the funniest line in the book, 'I didn't know what to do about that. Should I bear my teeth and growl?'" Gee, I think it was a teen who reviewed it. And then Rhonda came over with Michelle, who used to go out with Mike and since Mike was seeing Emily and Emily and Michelle haven't been talking since Michelle's brother puked on Emily's favorite bag, you can imagine it was pretty weird!

GREEN ANGEL by Alice Hoffman.
This is the grown-up author who has written such well known works as The Probably Future, Practical Magic and The River King. I'm not sure if this is her first young adult novel but I remember seeing it out last year and wanting to check it out. Now it's available in a very affordable mass market paperback ($5.99) and you'd probably be able to get through the whole thing during one visit to the bathroom (only 116 pages).

HONEY, BABY, SWEETHEART by Deb Caletti
Okay, I just read the synopsis over at Amazon and I have to admit... I'm hooked. Sure it sounds like a Lifetime movie for teenage girls but I gotta admit that even I get sucked into those movies now and then.

Blah blah blah, that's enough for now. Read more and remember: There's plenty of good shit out in paperback; you don't have to buy everything in hardcover.

No comments: